I have officially been a "real" gardener for just over a month now, and you wouldn't think you could learn many "real" lessons in that amount of time, but you'd be mistaken. Of course, I have thousands of lessons more to learn, but indeed a few things have made it through my neophyte skull.
As of today, I have learned that:
1) Digging a hole for a 3 gallon pot is really no joking matter, particularly if there are any trees nearer than 2 miles away. There was a 1 gallon version right there at the nursery. Right THERE!!
2) Deciding that you don't have to get the small wild onions out of the front garden until you are ready to plant it up is plain stupid.
3) Dropping a cement planter onto the sidewalk is all she wrote for the planter. Cement planters are really heavier than they look. Particularly when filled with wild onions.
4) Trailing verbena really really likes it here. And it really really spreads. And it puts out new roots for every one inch of plant so you can't even move it away from where its not supposed to be. Why the heck wasn't this on the tag? Its the mangrove tree of the 6" and under set.
5) They lie on plant tags. (see above #4 on theoretical verbena only growing only 12"- 24" wide, it is already 24" wide and only 1 inch tall!)
6) They lie some more on plant tags. (Persian Shield isn't going to make it in any amount of sun here, no matter what they say, unless you want to water it twice a day, and give it a Victorian sun umbrella and an iced tea.)
7) All plant tags are lies. Argh. They can't even get the color right.
8) Squirrels and I are not friends. Squirrels really like rain lily bulbs, which used to be a problem but they have totally taken care of that situation. And the oriental lily bulbs "potentially blooming all over the place situation" has been resolved too.
9)Lilies might not be the best choice for me, despite perfect growing conditions.
10) Finally, on a pleasant surprise note: cosmos smell awesome. 3 little blooms smell up the entire garden. How had I never attributed this smell to them?
So 10 lessons down, 10,000 to go!
Wildflower Wednesday - Buy Responsibly
1 hour ago